Friday, October 23, 2009

The Final Tally...

Ok, I've just completed inventory and here are the numbers for this year of growing, picking, preserving.

Freezer:
(8) 1/2 pints of jam (strawberry-rhubarb)
8 pints of jam (strawberry and raspberry)
4 quarts of beans
2 quarts or rhubarb
1 quart of peppers

Pantry:
5 pints of jam (strawberry and raspberry)
15 pints grape jelly
40 quarts of green beans
14 quarts of tomatoes
6 pints of relish
9 pints of salsa
11 quarts of pickles
3 pints of pickles
3 quarts of rhubarb
10 pints of carrots
2 1/2 pints of apple butter

All the beans came from my little garden. The peppers and tomatoes for the salsa came from my garden, as well as the carrots and quart of frozen peppers. The canned tomatoes came from a friend's father-in-law, the rhubarb from a friend's garden, cucumbers came from a couple friends as well. The dill for the pickles was from my garden, though. The jams and jellies were from produce I picked at farms, and the apples for apple butter I purchased at a fruit farm. Next year I'd like to finally do applesauce. This year I felt too burned out. I am very happy with the results, though. Next year I think I will skip the green onions and grow regular onions. I'd also like to try to find room for potatoes. I don't think I will bother with peas next year, but I'm thinking of doing a few more root veggies. Maybe a few beets and turnips.

So happy harvest to all. Time to close down the garden until next year!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are an animal. The good kind, like a fierce powerful animal, not some stinky rodenty kind. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Molly! I featured your table today on my blog! Thanks so much!