Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pumpkin Patch

Last Thursday I got to go on a field trip with Devon. The weather did not quite cooperate, but we had a great time anyway. It was something like 39 degrees and raining, but we dressed for the weather in warm winter coats, hats, and gloves. We had seven parent chaperones per class, so I only had Devon and one other boy, Alex, in my group.

The first thing our class did when we arrived, was go in the barn to watch a video about pumpkins. It takes a hundred days to grow a pumpkin, apparently. Devon didn't find this information too thrilling and a fell asleep. Not really, but for some reason he pretended he was asleep when I took the picture.

Next, our class got to hang out in the play yard while we waited for our turn in the corn maze.


The corn maze was quite an adventure. The paths are dirt. In the rain they were mud. Very sticky Wisconsin clay mud. Kids were slipping, sliding, falling in it. It would build up on the bottoms and sides of our boots, big, sticky, lumps.

After cleaning up the kids as best we could with baby wipes, we played around a little longer, waiting for our turn on the wagon ride out to where the pumpkins were.

We enjoyed the wagon ride with the friendly farmer, though the seats were wet. The benches were covered with plastic garbage bags, so I just shook off the excess water, wiped it with my glove, and we were good to go. I was amazed at how much a lot of the other folks were complaining. But then I realized, back to my earlier comment, that Devon and I had really dressed appropriately and that makes a world of difference. It's a lot easier to have fun that way!

Devon found the perfect pumpkin.

Here I am with my two little charges. It was so much fun, even though the weather was less than desirable. I love having the opportunity to spend time with one of my kids that way. It's fun to see them in their home away from home environment. And it's fun to be able to give them all my attention. (Yes, I paid attention to Alex. Even paying attention to your child's friend can be giving your child attention.)

No comments: