Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Rain-gutter Regatta

One of the fun perks of moving here is that Devon is now able to participate in Cub Scouts through the church.  It has been fun to see him get excited about getting his uniform and handbook and about belonging to an organization.  He had his first big event at the beginning of November, a rain gutter regatta.  He had started working on his boat back when we first got here, so he had been anticipating the event for close to two months by the time it actually took place.  I watched him race in his first heat- and win- before I had to run Kennedy to a friend's house.  The rest of the family stayed to watch.  Sadly, by the time I got back, the regatta was finished.  He had won two heats and lost two.  I wish I could say he was happy enough with that outcome, but that would be a lie.  He was grumpy about not winning the whole thing, wouldn't stick around for refreshments, and insisted that he didn't like Cub Scouts.  So what started as a fun event kind of took a sour turn.  He's a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this sort of thing.  If he can't be the best, he doesn't want to do it.  I hope we can help him overcome this attitude and learn to just enjoy things for the fun of it.  Parenting is hard. 

Being the scout-parent greenie I am, I can only say that in the picture below, Devon is receiving an advancement of some sort. ;)


Blowing his little heart out.


No comments: