Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Visit From Jack Frost...

We had a pretty hard frost last night, or at least, a thick one. Roofs, cars, grass, mailboxes, patio furniture, all of it was covered in thick, fuzzy frost this morning. It was really pretty and actually helped put me in the Christmas spirit. When Lincoln takes the kids to school in the morning, I stand at the front window and wave as they drive away. As they walked out the door and down the sidewalk to the car this morning, all three of them (Devon, Julia, and Renie), stopped to touch the frosty grass. Not a huge thing, but a small, beautiful moment, that served to lift me over the frustration and desperation I've been feeling with my kids lately. In that one, innocent act, they reminded me about the joy of being a child, the curiosity, and wonder of still being new to this world and trying to learn and enjoy every minute of it. It made me grateful to be their Mom, humbled by the magnitude of the responsibility, eager to be better. I don't know how I can possibly be for them all that I want for them, but renewed by this simple, early morning observation, I will try.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

(sob.)

The kid moment was touching and all, but I'm trying to get over the pending winter.

And p.s. you're a rock star mom. Your kids just don't know it yet. :)