Friday, July 25, 2008

Random Act of Kindness...

Kennedy decided last week that she wanted to do some sort of service for someone. She then spent the next several days asking me if she could bake sugar cookies. I put her off repeatedly because I knew that it would fall to me to complete the job when she got bored. Plus, sugar cookies require all that rolling and cutting and frosting. It just isn't something to decide to do on the spur of the moment. Yesterday afternoon when she asked me I finally thought, "Why not? We're here for the rest of the day (Devon was recuperating) and I have nothing that has to get done." Aside from making supper. So I told her that she and her friend, our little neighbor who was in Julia's class last year, could go ahead and make the much anticipated cookies. I was in the kitchen making dinner so I could oversee the process, but they did it pretty much on their own. I put them in and out of the oven and made the frosting and frosted them, (a delicate touch was required or they would crumble), but they did everything else. After they were done they took some to two neighbors. One neighbor asked them how much they cost and was confused when they told him they were free, made special for them. (They are Indian, I think, and perhaps this sort of thing isn't common in their culture, though they seem very Americanized.) Anyway, I thought it was sweet of them and that they did a great job. Here they are before the delivery.

No comments: