Thursday, May 29, 2008

Band-Aids and Butt Cream...

Lincoln and I were just talking last night about how we seem to be going through a rough spot with the kids. They just keep getting hurt. Everyone knows about Jesse's head injury. We have to change the Band-aid on it every night. He's getting pretty tender on each side of the wound where the glue sticks to his head and takes off several layers of skin when we remove it. 27 hours to go until the stitches are out. Can't. Wait. So then last night at dinner Renie was "done" eating and she came over to my chair and began climbing all over it. She had a spoon she was holding, sometimes holding in her mouth as she climbed. OK, you see where this is going, right? She misstepped and fell against the table and the spoon cut her tongue. There was blood, and tears. I felt so bad for her but it was one of those moments where you're also thinking, "How many times in your short life have we said to you, 'Sit down at the table so you don't fall and get hurt!'" Seriously. Lincoln started a new policy at the dinner table. Any butt that's not flat on the chair gets spanked. Family dinner is fabulous for bonding time with the kids.
Speaking of butts, that leads me to the next incident. Jesse has had a bit of diaper rash for a couple days. I've been treating it with Desitin, or Butt Cream in our home. Last night I put him to bed and he fussed and cried for quite a while, which is unusual for him. He's really good about just settling in with no crying. Lincoln and I were watching The Jane Austen Book Club and he just kept carrying on. I thought maybe his stitches were hurting so I went up and gave him some Tylenol and a drink of water. He settled back in and we finished watching the movie. At about 1:00, he started crying again. He kept crying so i went to check on him. I was worried he might have hurt his head or that he might be stinky and it was hurting his sore bum. His Band-Aid was still in place but I could smell some stinks. I took him out to the living room to change him. It required Lincoln and I both to hold him down and get him cleaned up because he was so raw down there. His poor little tushy was bleeding and even very gentle wiping just about put him through the roof with the pain. Why, I ask you? Aren't the stitches enough? Does he really need more pain assaulting his wee little person? I'm very tempted to leave him bare today so his bum can heal.
So yeah- it's been rough. Add to all that Julia's blister from the monkey bars, Kennedy's knee she bashed on the floor at school after slipping in water at the drinking fountain, Devon's splinter, and Renie's biff on the sidewalk a week or so ago and hey, I should soon be nominated for parent of the year!
One last thing, completely unrelated. The girls had a soccer game last night and they were on fire! Julia has overcome her fears and she was an animal last night. She scored 2 goals and had a couple of beautiful assists. She was getting right in there and attacking the ball. She was fast and excited and happy. Kennedy scored three goals and seems to be really developing a head for the game. She's great at passing and thinking things through. She looks to pass up the side of the field instead of in front of the goal and she's figuring out movement on the field. It is so fun to watch them. I'm sad that they are almost done. I guess I've got lots of years to watch them ahead of me, right?

2 comments:

Persnickety Prints said...

Wow you have had a busy week! (almost Friday!)
You crack me up! I love that you tell truthful stories and not all of this "my life is perfect, my children are perfect.." CRAP! It makes me feel more normal! I think we are going to try your butt spanking at dinner policy tonight! Great one! At least you have gotten this far in life without stitches! Do you have good insurance, cause when it rains, it pours!
LOVES!

jessie said...

What a rough week! Especially for the mom who feels EVERYONE'S pain!!! (Really, there's nothing worse than seeing your child in pain, is there?!)
So I have a suggestion for a great movie that Jackson and Eddison just LOVE. It's the new Alvin and the Chimpmunks. They love to sing and dance along with it (well, only Jackson knows the words, but Eddie has some great moves!) It's actually a pretty cute movie (the first 500 times...after than it's just old!). I would highly recommend it! :)

Good luck with those stitches! I'm just counting down the days until we experience that milestone! LOL!!