Tuesday, December 16, 2008

10,000 Santa Clauses...

Probably only my family will know the reference in the title. We had a record of Christmas songs when I was a kid called Christmas Is For Kids. On the record there was a song titled 10,000 Santa Clauses. It's about this kid who sees Santa Clauses everywhere at Christmastime but she's stuck in her room with the mumps and can't go out to meet any of them. She laments that the only chance she has is if the real Santa Claus will come down her chimney.
So anyway, the kids were able to meet our church Santa Claus this past Friday evening. The older girls know who it is in the Santa Claus suit, so they're really only there for the present, but for Renie and especially Devon, it was purely magical. For Jesse it was merely another year of stranger danger.
We enjoyed a lovely dinner of sloppy joes and potluck. (Don't ask me whose idea it was to have sloppy joes for a holiday dinner, it wasn't me.) Then we listened to the local high school brass choir play some Christmas carols. (One of our Young Women from church is in the ensemble, though she didn't play that night because she had her wisdom teeth removed earlier in the day.)
After the music and some games for kids in another room, the Big Man came. Devon watched the door in anticipation...


His jaw dropped in amazement...


He very quickly pulled himself back together...



He was so cute! I couldn't stand it.

I tried to take the pictures quickly, but didn't have it set on continuous mode so they are a bit blurry. But you get the idea. Each of the kids talked with Santa and came away with a toy.





It was a fun night, though I wish the church party was more Christ-centered. And I wish I hadn't made 5 pounds of sloppy joes that sat in the kitchen all night and never was needed. But I froze them and guess what I'm bringing to the potluck THIS Sunday. Yup.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

cute pictures. Next time we talk, let's rant a little while about how to properly plan a church Christmas party, shall we?

Unknown said...

We do not do anything in our house about Santa.In fact Anakha-Marie loves to spread the word that Santa is not real and that if he ever came down our chimney then her dad would kick his butt right back up. I always feel bad and a bit mortified when she gets in arguments about Santa with Santa believers. Parents just love that.But, that is simply adorable! I loved his face! And Kennedy's "I'm too old for this" stance is just cute! They had a Santa's breakfast here but every year they do that, we opt out. I hope next year there is a more Christ centered Christmas gathering too. We miss you guys!!! Thanks for those pics!