Monday, July 27, 2009

The Ups and Downs...

So I am "training" for a 5K in October. I put training in quotes because what I am really doing is going out 3 or four mornings a week and staggering and gasping through a 13 minute mile, dragging along my DVT leg and wondering what in the world makes me think I can possibly run 3 whole miles in a row 2 and a half months from now. I don't know if that's really training. Some days i go out and my DVT leg feels no different from my other one. Then, on days like today, it feels like it weighs two hundred pounds and it's stiff and swollen feeling. I'm just praying that the race route is flat. It's the darn hills that do me in. But it has been my goal for some time now to just do a 5K. Positive peer pressure is working its magic. I have 3 friends who are training to run the marathon at the same event, a few training for the 1/2, and my husband is training for the 10K. I really feel like I need to achieve this. I've never been that great at setting a goal and working toward it, so I feel like this will be really good for me. So that's what keeps me going. I like how I feel (after the run is done!), and I like not giving up. It's a great way to start my days and so very good for my well-being. So, now the world knows, or at least my three readers know, so I am that much more accountable. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Virginia said...

There's gotta be more than three of us!

Keep plugging along - Your determination is an inspiration to me. :)

merathon said...

you can do it, molly! baby steps!

Stephanie said...

You have my wishes and my admiration!

Audrey said...

good luck, you rock.

Persnickety Prints said...

Molly, I am laughing my head off right now!!! OK, here is my advice.. and you and i are the same with being competitive...don't train!
Seriously, it's so weird, I never run (no cartledge in the right knee+ i am old). Every year we run a 5k in May and that competitive drive kicks right in. I win every year, i have to beat my husband, and I have to win in my age category...this year 2nd place, but still... i don't run. I must say that i am in a full sprint the whole time practically peeing my pants due to the ruined body my children have given me, but if you think about it..it's only 20+ minutes, and then i hurt for 2 days, but I win:)