Friday, November 14, 2008

Classroom Playdate...

On Wednesday, Devon's 4-K class hosted a parent-child playdate. The classroom was open to a small group of parents and children and literacy activity stations were set up around the room. It was fun to spend some one on one time with Devon, and to see him taking ownership of his classroom. We spent an hour cutting letters out of playdough, doing an alphabet puzzle, completing a word search,



using magnets to form the letters of his name,


(His eyes were closed in this one...)


(...so he tried extra hard to keep them open in this one!)


and eating a snack!
On a side note, I was recently putting together a puzzle that had over a hundred pieces. I was trying to throw it together quickly, just to see if all the pieces were there. Devon kept asking to help and I kept shooing him away because I figured it was too hard and I wanted to do it quickly. Despite my shooing, he quickly figured out where a piece went. Impressed, I let him continue to help me. He did such a great job! When we were done he asked to try it on his own. We took it apart, I helped put together the edge pieces, then he proceeded to do almost the entire thing on his own. My girls have never been into puzzles much so I didn't really push it with him. Looks like I need to get him some puzzles.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

love the open eyes. Clark's my puzzle kid. They're fun because they can entertain themselves for a while without the help of a remote control. :)

merathon said...

my girls are HUGE puzzlers! i've been amazed at how well even berkeley at just 3 1/2 can plow through the 100 piecers!