Thursday, May 21, 2009

I Love May...

So I've realized this year that I really don't care for spring until May. I like spring when it is almost summer. I like warm sunshine, cool breezes, lots of lilacs and other flowers, planting the garden, watching new leaves grow. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for March and April and the movement away from sub-zero weather to melting snow spring rains. But I always find myself getting annoyed when it's 55 or 60 degrees one day and snowing the next. But that's not really what this post is about.

Yesterday was the kick-off to the chaotic parade of end of year events. Devon, Renie, and Jesse celebrated the end of Creative Play and Romping Room with a big picnic in the park. The weather was just perfect for it, though the park we went to was, as usual, very windy. We enjoyed yummy food and good friends. (On a side note, I made a strawberry rhubarb pie in the morning to bring to the picnic. Two words: Fan. Tastic.)


Devon and his posse


I raced directly from that park and picnic to another park in town to join Julia and the rest of the second grade for another picnic. They went on a field trip to Cave of the Mounds yesterday and then met up with the parents at the park to eat their sack lunches.


As Julia and I sat in the shade together munching Cheetos, she told me it was her favorite part of the field trip because I was there with her. It was one of those moments that make you glad to be doing what you're doing. I'm so glad I made the effort to find a babysitter for the other kids so I could be there with her.


Julia and her besties


Lilacs and leaves

Fun in the park


Then yesterday evening I mowed the yard. It's the first time I've mowed since i got married. I realized that I actually enjoy mowing. I love the smell of the lawnmower mingled with the smell of the freshly cut grass and my own sweat. Weird, I know. But maybe it's just that it transports me to my youth. I spent a lot of time as a kid around the hot smell of engines- the lawnmower, the tractor. It smells like summer to me.
Mowing was a fantastic workout. We have a very hilly yard and a push mower. It was very hard work and I definitely am NOT looking to take over this job permanently or in its entirety, but maybe I could do it sometimes, or just the back or something.
We ended the day with popcorn and the American Idol finale. (Lincoln was in OH all day for work and didn't get home until 10pm, so popcorn was our dinner.)

No comments: