Friday, May 15, 2009

King Of The Castle

Have you ever played King of the Castle? Basically, you stand on top of a mound, pile, heap, steep hill, etc, and try to maintain your place at the top while your competitors try to push you off and take over the summit, thus becoming the King of the Castle. The best part is that the king gets to say, "I'm the king of the castle and you're the dirty rascal!" in a sing-songy voice. This eggs on the would-be kings and they come leaping up to wrestle you off your throne. We played this a lot when I was a kid. It can get pretty physical. I've not taught my kids yet. Mostly because i forgot about it. But also because if I had, my pile of mulch would have been flattened and somebody's head would have gotten cracked open on the driveway after an opponent shoved them from their castle.

Instead, my kids hauled everything they could move by themselves out of the garage and piled it on top of my mulch pile and declared it a castle. No arguing over who was king.

I don't have a picture of the castle, but I do have a picture of Jesse sitting on the mulch pile the next day contentedly. I was working outside and realized he had strayed form my view. I found him here. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I on the castle!"



"Be gone, peasant!"

No comments: