Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What a Weekend!

I love Memorial Day weekend. I love the idea of a holiday weekend that is the kick-off to summer. I just wish the kids were out of school now so summer could really begin. I must admit, however, these last 9 days are only going to consist of things like field trips and picnics, so that's not so bad.

Our weekend started a little early. Friday marked the beginning of summer hours- 1/2 day Fridays every other week- at Lands End. Lincoln decided to go all the way and took the morning off as well. He got up bright and early and headed out to the Wisconsin River to fish.

I got the kids ready for school, including curling Kennedy's loooonnnng hair for her concert. By concert time, not a bit of curl was left!

At 2pm, we attended Kennedy's spring program together.

kennedy and her peeps.

After the program, Lincoln dashed off to an eye appointment and I finished gathering supplies for a camp out. Once we had everything gathered and loaded, we drove to Yellowstone Lake State Park to camp with a group of friends.

We had a lovely group camp site set back from the road.

We all pitched our tents and then set to preparing our suppers. Lincoln and I had yummy tinfoil dinners of potatoes, chicken, onions, and asparagus in mushroom soup sauce. The kids had hotdogs cooked on a stick and potatoes cooked in foil. We then spent the evening around the campfire munching on s'mores and visiting.

Devon and his buddy Xan running around like maniacs.

Renie and her little sidekick Tiara.

Does that marshmallow look delish or what?

Our ghost friend, Doug.

Kennedy and Abby performing at the campfire.

We got to bed late and then were awakened in the night by rain. It sounded torrential in the tent, but we stayed pretty dry.

The next day we had pancakes and homemade english muffins (I did it!) for breakfast. Then we took the kids to the lake to splash around for a while. It was sunny and toasty and lovely.

We worked around the house for a while Saturday afternoon and evening. Lincoln and I watched a few extra kids and then hunkered down to watch a movie.

Sunday was a crazy day in the nursery and I was exhausted. Even on the way to church in the morning I was falling asleep. My body ached for a nap that just wasn't meant to be. That evening we joined our neighbors for a campfire. We are so grateful to have friendly, fun neighbors on both sides of us. Subdivision living isn't really for me---but if I have to be here, this is the best situation I could ask for!

Monday morning Lincoln once again got up before dawn to go fishing. The rest of us slept in- Renie until 10:00. I made strawberry-rhubarb pies, fresh lemonade, and a marinade for grilled veggies. After Lincoln returned we went to a BBQ/house warming party at the home of some friends from church. They have a beautiful old home in Mineral Point. Someday I will have an old home with character. Someday.

Around five o'clock on Monday we went next door for another cook out. We brought our veggies and pies and lemonade and whoopee pies to share. My neighbor hosted a fun party that even included an egg hunt for the kids. So after staying too long, we put kids to bed late again last night.

Kennedy and Abby playing air hockey at the party.

Julia pole dancing. She told me she was pretending she was dancing with somebody but really it was just a pole. As long as she's not doing this when she's 18, I think we're OK.

Jesse is thoroughly enjoying his gum from the egg hunt.

At 1:30 am Kennedy awoke with an ear infection. I gave her some ear drops and Tylenol and she managed to go back to sleep. First thing this morning I brought her to the Dr who confirmed the ear infection and also asked me about the wheezing in her lungs. I told her Kennedy's history with allergies and coughing. She gave her a nebulizer treatment, started her on an antibiotic, gave us a daily inhaler, and prescribed an emergency inhaler for times when she feels short of breath. I got medicine into Kennedy, including Motrin for the ear pain, and then dropped her off to school. She didn't want to miss today because the 4th grade was going to the other elementary school where they will attend 5th grade. They get to go have a tour and eat lunch with the fourth graders already attending there that they will be joining next year.

You see where this is going right?

A couple hours later I get a call that Kennedy is sick and I need to come pick her up. When I arrived they told me she had thrown up several times. I was not expecting that. I think she must be having a reaction to one of the medicines. She was absolutely miserable. Shaking, freezing (but no fever), sleepy, moaning. Poor thing. She is now in comfy PJs on the couch. I feel so bad for her that she had to miss out. All she got to do was sit in the gym at the other school. She didn't have an appetite so she picked at her lunch a little while everyone else ate. Then the puking started. Hopefully she will feel better soon.

So after a looooong weekend, we're all a little worn out. My most ambitious goal today is to plant some tomatoes. Maybe.

1 comment:

Virginia Burnett said...

Give Kennedy a big hug from me. What a bummer to be so sick in May!